Power Pioneers Volunteer Hours Program
Volunteer Hours Program Background:
The Power Pioneers Volunteer Hours Program has been designed around a theme of being active regardless of your age. Studies have shown that to get the most out of our senior years it is important to stay active and connected. Our original three pillars go beyond our Volunteer Hours Program to include encouraging physical as well as social activity.
The three pillars of the Program are:
- Physical Activities: staying active through physical activities such as; walking, jogging, aerobics, skiing, curling, golf, gardening, bowling, yoga, to name just a few examples. You are encouraged to meet a goal of 150 minutes of physical activity per week or approximately 20-30 minutes per day. If you have any health concerns always consult your doctor first.
- Volunteering: staying active by giving your time for the benefit of others. These activities include: volunteering to a community or charitable organization, assisting a friend, neighbour or family member in need with errands or tasks. Tasks that require assistance could include; clearing a driveway /sidewalk of snow, driving to medical appointments, purchasing groceries, just to name a few examples. During COVID, volunteering has meant we are taking on new ways of volunteering at home such as; participating in Zoom meetings with Power Pioneers or organizations you volunteer with, phoning members of your branch or others as part of staying connected and in touch and more ways we’re still learning about.
- Staying Connected: staying active and engaging with others. These activities could include group activities such as: bridge or poker games, music jam sessions, movie night with friends, dinner parties, participate in a choir, attending sporting events or plays with friends. During COVID, many of our face-to-face activities have had to be modified or postponed but you can still find ways to connect using technology, telephone and small group gatherings when safe to do so. We have launched our digital classes in partnership with Gluu Technology Society to support our members as they move to many online activities during this time. For more information contact Lorilee: firstname.lastname@example.org or 604 623 3768.
Let’s sit less and move more – activities that keep us moving
We asked you, through a survey, to tell us what you do to keep active and from your responses we’ve created our own list that might inspire you to make moving an even bigger part of your future. Being active is essential and accessible to all of us, regardless of our age or mobility level. The activities on our list will include a range of ideas and variations, ensuring that all members can participate in, regardless of age, ability or skill level. We hope to encourage you to try some new things while you keep active doing the things you love. Activity is good for our physical and emotional health and it’s a part of who we are as Power Pioneers. It’s a long list but we hope you enjoy the read.
150 minutes of physical activity per week
Research shows that even short, 10-minute bouts of physical activity are associated with increased fitness. Put another way, we need 150 minutes of heart-pumping physical activity per week and that activity will mean different things for each of us. Even if we don’t reach 150 minutes every week, it’s the long term average that counts. You’ll be surprised how soon it becomes an important part of your lifestyle.
Track your volunteer hours and you could win!
Volunteer hours are an important way we can show the valuable contribution we make to our communities through our time. Each year we collect close to 100,000 hours representing the time you give to Power Pioneers, your own charitable causes and helping members of your communities. We will contact you at the end of each year to submit your hours from that year and all participants will be entered into the $1000 charity lotto draw to the charity or charities of your choice. We will also give $20, for each member that submits volunteer hours to the survey, up to a maximum amount, to the Branches to donate back to their communities. During the Covid year of 2020 we collected 70,000 volunteer hours and donated $7000 back to our local communities!
Support your community – participate in our 2020 volunteer hour survey
We are conducting our volunteer hours survey for 2020 and we need your help. When you submit your volunteer hours for 2020 through this survey, your Branch receives $20 to donate to local charities and you get a chance to win $1000 for your charity!
The year 2020 has been a challenging time for communities throughout the province. Our new Volunteer Hour Program has been shifted for the 2020 calendar year to help support our communities. When you submit your volunteer hours through the survey, your Branch will receive funds to be donated to local charities. Our volunteer hour total is an important record of the amazing contributions of time our members make to help keep Power Pioneers, BC Children’s Hospital, local charities and our communities thriving.
HOW THE SURVEY WILL WORK FOR 2020
- Each branch will receive $20 per member who submits volunteer hours.
- Your Branch will donate the funds raised through the survey to local charities.
- These funds will be disbursed to the branches early in 2021.
- All participating members have a chance to win the $1,000 provincial draw, to be held in early spring.
- The provincial draw winner can donate the $1000 to the charity or two charities of their choice in B.C. and get a tax receipt.
- Members without email will be contacted by the Branch Volunteer Hour Rep.
- The survey will ask for your name, branch and total volunteer hours for 2020.
- If you have a couple membership and you share an email ID then please respond for you and your spouse. If you have different emails registered, you will each receive your own survey and can reply separately.
WHAT COUNTS AS VOLUNTEER HOURS?
Volunteer hours can take many forms, and there are no minimum or maximum requirements. We realize that it can be difficult to know exactly how many volunteer hours you have accumulated over the year, but if you give it some thought, you can probably figure out where you spend your time volunteering. For some of you, a few hours a year may be all you’re able to do, and for others you are able give generously of your time to help others.
Here are some examples:
- Volunteering can be the simplest of gestures: phone calls, texts or emails to maintain contact with someone who may be otherwise isolated,
- Shopping for a neighbour who is unable to get to the grocery store or who is concerned about going out during the pandemic,
- Things you do that you are not paid for that helps to support your neighbours, family, friends and community,
- Volunteering for charities and non-profits in your communities,
- As always, volunteering for Power Pioneers to keep our organization running throughout the year,
- Remember, every hour counts.
The deadline to respond is Friday, January 15, 2021. Thank you for joining us and supporting your communities and the Power Pioneers through your time. Click on the link below to participate in the survey.