Being a Power Pioneer gives you opportunities to stay connected and involved.
Many members enjoy being active in events and projects with Branch members, BC Hydro and our communities. Power Pioneers keep in touch with each other through monthly meetings, social activities, volunteer community events, and through our website and eNewsletters.
Our members are often busy with travels, family and hobbies. So we understand if you have little or no time to participate or volunteer. You’ll find the Power Pioneers very flexible and glad to see you whenever it fits your schedule. You can be involved as much or as little as you like, and you’ll still get value from your membership.
Who Can Join
If you are a retiree or employee of BC Hydro or who worked for a BC Hydro subsidiary, predecessor or successor company, we invite you and your spouse to become members by clicking on the JOIN UP tab in the top right corner of the website.
Annual membership is only $10 per person. You can pay your dues online and manage your account through your Dashboard once you’ve become a member. You can also pay by cash or cheque at your local Branch.
Thinking about joining – Did you know – we’re supporting our communities and each other
- BC Hydro Power Pioneers was founded in 1990 by Hydro retirees, continuing a tradition that goes back over 80 years.
- Power Pioneers is a registered non-profit society.
- Since 1990, together with employees, family and friends, we have raised over $1.6 million for BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) through the Power Pioneers Miracle Millions Campaign (MMC). Of this total, $550,000 has been raised through our spring Jean Up campaigns.
- Our members volunteer over 100,000 hours each year with Power Pioneers and with community organizations and helping those in need.
- Power Pioneers have published six books on the history of electricity in B.C. with 20,000 copies in print.
- Our history books and Power Pioneers branded merchandise can be purchased through our online store at powerpioneersgear.com, with all proceeds donated to our MMC for BCCH.
- During Covid, our face mask sales through our Gear Store raised over $20,000 for our Miracle Millions Campaign for BCCH.
- We have over 1800 members in 15 Branches around the province.
- Power Pioneers Branches have many projects and activities to participate in and hold several get-togethers each year.
- Branches around the province hold Christmas luncheons or dinners every year end, with members getting a 50% reduction on the luncheon cost.
- We organize a Jamboree every two years, either on land (e.g., Whistler, Harrison Hot Springs) or a cruise (2024 is to Alaska in September).
- Communications to members are mostly via eNewsletters. The annual print mail-out includes our Annual Giving Campaign, supporting BCCH and the Hydro employee fundraising campaign.
- Members have access to useful information and resources on our website, such as pension and benefits details, the member directory and links to our photo and video galleries and Branch news and activities.
- Membership is open to all BC Hydro retirees and employees and their spouses/partners, and employees and retirees from subsidiary, predecessor and successor organizations.
- The membership fee is only $10 per year, per person.
- The level of participation is up to you. You can be involved as much or as little as you like and you’ll still get value for your membership.
- If you would like more information contact: email@example.com.